Thursday, September 30, 2010

Halloween Costumes for Women: Sexy or Conservative?

Now that Halloween is just around the corner, I've started my hunt for the perfect character to dress up as- Snow White. At first, I wanted to be Jasmine from Aladdin because we both have tan skin and long dark hair, but then I realized she had a gaping belly. Because of that, I changed my mind and picked sweet, safe, and covered up Snow White instead.

After searching for 20 minutes online for Snow White costumes, I came to the conclusion that her costumes were either too sexy or too expensive. On the website, Buycostumes.com, they had 12 Snow White costumes, but only three of them were conservative, while the other nine were very revealing and sexy. Not only that, the three conservative outfits were the most expensive ones! Are they purposely making the sexy costumes cheaper so women would buy them instead of the conservative costumes?

Many of the costumes were titled "sexy." For example, there was "Sexy Snow White costume" or "Sultry Gypsy." What ever happened to just being simple? Is this the way women should dress or maybe want to dress? Short skirts, high platforms, and knee-high tights? Even though I didn't pick Jasmine so that I could avoid wearing revealing clothes, I came upon the same problem anyway with Snow White.

What are the Halloween costume options for women nowadays? Over the years, I have seen an increase in sexy costumes for women. I've noticed a costume company titled "Leg Avenue" that creates many sexy costumes for women. If you go to a Halloween Express or Spirited store, you will see this brand throughout the store. Their costumes are usually wrapped in a plastic container of some sort with a sexy picture of a girl in the costume. It is almost impossible to find a regular costume in these Halloween stores nowadays and even if you did find one, it is likely that it will cost more than the sexy costume.

SO what does this mean for a mother like me who wants to dress up and take her kid out on Halloween night? Do we choose to be sexy or do we choose to conservative? What are we supposed to be like and why? Who made these decisions? Those are some questions to ask yourself.

I don't know about you, but for Halloween night, I'm wearing a jacket, jeans, and tennis shoes.

Please click on the websites below to see some of the costumes I saw.

Thank you for reading this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment